Technology can help keep your loved ones safe and comfortable at home
If you have a loved one who is getting older and you’d like to keep them safe and comfortable in their own home, there is smart home technology for seniors that can help. Whether you live across town or across the world, here are some suggestions to help your loved ones and give you peace of mind.
Our smart home technology for seniors is listed by product category. For each category we’ve highlighted the features and benefits and provided Our Pick and other Optional devices. We’ve included links on where to buy, and reviews and/or videos from AppMyHome.
All the product suggestions below are Wi-Fi based, or provide their own hub to connect to Wi-Fi. These devices require a smartphone or tablet, a Wi-Fi router and internet connection to use. A wider range of products that use other communications methods are available, listed in Our Smart Home Devices page.
Smart Smoke Detectors
- Detects both smoke and carbon monoxide in one device
- Sends alerts to your smart phone
- Speaks to you to tell you what is happening in which room
- Battery or wall power, tells you when battery needs changing
- Touch to open lock, or use a key
- Remote lock and unlock
- eKeys for guest access
- Works with Amazon Alexa via included hub
Reagle Gateway – Bridge/Hub for Reagle Smart Deadbolt Lock – Allows for Remote Access Control
Smart Garage Door
Smart Lighting, Switches and Outlets
- Bulbs replace your regular light bulbs, outlet plugs into your wall outlet
- Turn off and on with a schedule, sunrise/sunset or motion/sensor
- Change the intensity or color of the light bulb
- Control with your smartphone from anywhere or via Amazon Alexa
- Philips Hue Smart Light Bulbs Starter Kit, includes bulbs and hub
- GE myTouchSmart WiFi Smart, Indoor Plug-in Mini Outlet, Our Review, Our Video
- Control your smart home with your voice
- Listen to news, music or watch videos with voice control
- Add reminders to take medication, remember appointments, etc.
- Communicate to other rooms with Amazon Alexa, or to other Echos around the world with voice or video
Amazon Echo Show (2nd generation)
- See and talk to whomever is at your door
- Send alerts to your smart phone when someone approaches
- Record and playback video of visitors
- Works with Amazon Echo Show
Maximus Answer Dual Cam Video Doorbell (coming soon), Our Video (CES 2019)
- Watch day or night
- Record locally or to the cloud when motion detected
- Easy to install
- View anywhere and via Amazon Echo Show
- Wyze Cam 1080p Smart Home Camera, Our Video (CES 2019)
- Maximus Camera Floodlight, Our Floodlight Review, Our Video (CES 2019)
- Ring Spotlight Cam
- Maximus Smart Security Camera and Outdoor Lights, Our Smart Security Light Review, Our Video (CES 2019)
Smart Water Monitoring
- No Tools required to install
- Monitor water flow, receive alerts
- Detect water leaks
- Automatically shut off water when leak detected, or shut off manually from anywhere using the app
- Streamlabs Smart Home Water Monitor, monitors water flow only, provides alerts
- Guardian Leak Prevention System Plus, 10% off using code “AppMyHome” at checkout in the Elexa shop. Detects leaks with leak sensors placed in home, able to turn off water, Our Review, Our Video
- GuideLight – nightlight built into an outlet cover
- USB Charger – turn any outlet cover into a USB Charger
- SafeLight – transforms your outlet into a child friendly night-light. Equipped with self closing sliding outlet covers.
- SwitchLight – Nightlight for a single light switch that controls one light fixture. Three light settings.
For a complete list of products we use in our smart home, including the Wi-Fi router and smart home hubs, visit Our Smart Home Devices page.